Summer 2009 Retreat

Summer 2009 Retreat

Thursday, April 14, 2011

Journal #15

Veronika Castellanos

ED 190

4/14/11

Journal #15

What characteristics do you think make up the "mythical norm" in American society (or in the world)? Relate these to the topics we have covered in class. Where do you feel like you fit in society with respect to this "norm"?

I really want to apply this idea of the “mythical norm” with the ideologies that come along with race and ethnicity. I think that there is an abundance of stereotypes when it comes to thinking about various cultures around the world. As a society, not only do we judge and stereotype ideas of “otherness” when it comes to other parts of the world, but we also apply this to people who live in this U.S. We take ideas that have been thrown at us whether it is in the classroom or by the media, and we begin to adopt them as a universal truth because that is all we have been exposed to. I also think that when people hear and see a consistent idea of race and/or ethnicity they reflect upon society and they begin to generalize as a whole. And if someone becomes aware of this mold that they are supposedly suppose to be a part of, they can make the decision to either sit back and accept it, or they can change it and progress from that. To be honest, I am finding it really difficult to place myself into a particular “norm” of society. One thing I can think of is that since I look white, I’m sure many people assume I’m privileged. I have been told that I look like a snob and a “princess.” I have always had to work for my own money; I come from a low-income family, and my parents aren’t able to contribute a dime to my education and it’s ok. I have learned a lot about responsibility because of it. I don’t come from a college bound family; I’m the first one in my family to go to college. Both of my parents are immigrants from Mexico and they are not familiar at all with the university system, so I have had to navigate myself through school. It’s a person’s choice whether they want to branch out and learn about different cultures, and I know that I want to continue to be a part of such a diverse community.

No comments:

Post a Comment